Saving energy is very important both for the people and the environment. As a household, being able to save money for electric bills is a great way of economizing. Rather than spend more money on bills, these can be saved for emergencies. Saving energy can also save the environment. There is damage done when electricity is produced on several power plants. Even using less electricity can do a tremendous job of saving the environment.
However if we have to use less electricity, how can we be able to make use of various electrical appliances? The answer to that is a solar panel. However purchasing it can be quite pricey, so the best way is to do it by yourself. How to do that? With items that you can easily find in your home or the local hardware store near your place, you could now make a solar panel to help with going green and saving. Here are the steps how to make a solar panel and the things you will need:
One electric burner
Sheet metal shears
One micro-ammeter that can read currents between 10-50 microamperes
1/2 ft. sheet of a copper flashing
Two alligator clip leads
One 2-liter plastic bottles/ glass jars
2-3 tablespoon of table salt
Electric drill sand paper
1. Use the sandpaper to eliminate signs of corrosion on the copper flashing and clean it thoroughly. Then with the metal shears, cut it so it would match the burner.
2. Put the flashing on the burner and cook it for at least 30 minutes in order to create black cupric oxide thick enough.
3. When a good coating of cupric oxide has formed, let it cool until it flakes off.
4. Clean the cooled copper under tap water but do it slowly so the red type of cuprous oxide which has formed in heating will not go away.
5. Cut another copper flashing the same size as before. With the alligator clips, attach the two panels you created within the glass jar with wide opening or a plastic bottle with a cut top. The panels are not supposed to be touching each other and bend with the shape of the glass jar or bottle.
6. Link the head the alligator clip that is affixed to the untouched flashing to the positive side of the meter. Other clip fixed to the plate with cuprous oxide should be linked to the negative side.
7. Make a salt and water solution. Make a solution that can sufficiently soak the base of the plates. The clips should be high and dry.
8. Place it under the sun and see how it can make the gauge jump. You can then use it to help power various appliances.