Even though you can always get help from a fire restoration company if you have a fire at your home, experiencing such an incident is something that obviously all families would like to avoid. Although small fires that don’t require major fire damage restoration work occur frequently, catastrophic house fires happen all too often and can be easily started by accident. That is why you should take certain precautions to significantly reduce your chances of having a house fire.
Below are five home fire prevention tips that will be useful for anyone.
1. Set Up Smoke Alarms
The best way to know about a fire in one part of your house is to have smoke alarms set up in almost all of your rooms. That ensures if there is a small fire in one bedroom, bathroom or in the kitchen, you are quickly alerted by the sound of the alarm. In fact, most homes are required to have smoke alarms.
Some homeowners even connect their smoke alarm to their emergency alarm system, which alerts a security company if there is a fire incident. They can quickly contact you, ask if everything is okay, and even call 911 on your behalf.
2. Check Heating Sources
Periodically have a professional check the heat sources at your home, ensuring that you do not experience a house fire as a result of your furnace. The last thing you want is to spend time and money hiring a fire restoration company, even if you have a good homeowners’ insurance policy.
3. Keep Your Cooking Area Clear
Stovetop fires can get out of control very quickly, especially grease fires. Even if you have a smaller kitchen, you must make every effort to remove things away from around open flames. Always have a fire extinguisher handy as well, and check it regularly to make sure it doesn’t need replacing.
4. Maintain Your Clothes Dryer
Make sure you are cleaning out the lint section of the clothes dryer after each use. People think that area is there for show, but if lint builds up in the lint trap, you can end up with excessive heat in the machine.
Some dryers do shut off if the temperatures become dangerous, but that is not often a feature in older dryers.
5. Avoid Burning Candles Too Long
Most people would be surprised to learn that a significant portion of house fires in the winter are a result of candles that were left to burn for too long. The candle can often burn until the very end, which can crack the candle case and cause a fire. Ensure you keep the time in mind when you have lit a candle, as you can remember to put it out after 45 minutes to an hour. That ensures you will never leave a candle going so long it burns out.
If there is a fire at your home, you will need help to get your property back to a livable condition. Ensure you are consulting with professionals who handle fire damage restoration work, as they provide the best opportunity to achieve a quality result from this process.